Posts tagged Apple
Posts tagged Apple
In a probably-futile attempt to stem the tide of redundant comments, I’ll address some of the more frequent reactions to my last post:
If you don’t like it, don’t use it! Duh.
You’re missing the point. The issue is that this is a software EULA which for the first time attempts to restrict…
HERE is why we at OR dread dealing with intermediary sellers—sure, by spurning a behemoth like Amazon, we can feel morally superior (strange to think that Barnes & Noble is today’s underdog)—but that’s not the primary reason. It’s that the big stores are such whiners, and unfortunately they’re…
John Oakes hits the nail on the head here!
Giving Apple more benefit of doubt that they probably deserve on this issue, making purchasing work the same way in all apps would be a lovely thing for usability. In utopian ecommerce, you would buy anything for use with an app from within the app and it would always work almost the same way.
Now…what’s that worth? How large a piece of each purchase is your company willing to give Apple just so that everything can be all tidy like that?
That’s a really big cut for an abstract benefit. A 30% cut makes sense for apps themselves, but it sure doesn’t for in-app purchases. It’s gouging and the market is definitely not going to bear it.
I have dared to predict. Now let’s sit back and watch the fur fly.
A visual guide to the many months of rumours surrounding Apple’s rumoured Tablet. Click on the image for a higher resolution version.
You can also find an interactive version of the graphic at: http://tinyurl.com/ykm9rmh
Note: Below you will find a list of sources with a number, these numbers correspond with the numbers in the graphic above.
- Unique tablet UI: http://www.cultofmac.com/rumor-apple-employee-says-tablet-ui-has-steep-learning-curve/25228, http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-tablet-os-has-a-good-bit-of-new-sexy-to-it-says-someone-who-has-seen-it-2010-1
- Aluminium casting: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60745S20100108
- Quarter two launch: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60745S20100108
- Powered by a P A Semi chip http://www.thestreet.com/story/10656904/1/exclusive-apples-tablet-has-no-intel-inside.html
- Supported by multiple 3G carriers: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/06/apple-tablet-to-support-multiple-wireless-carriers-including-verizion/
- 3D operating system navigation: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/technology/2010/01/apple_tablet_3d.html
- March Launch: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580904574638630584151614.html (subscription required)
- Two different finishes: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580904574638630584151614.html (subscription required)
- Around $1,000: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580904574638630584151614.html (subscription required)
- January 27 unveiling: http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100104/major-apple-product-announcement/
- 10” display: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091228PD212.html
- Called iSlate: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/25/apple-islate/
- Supports Apple’s App Store: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-to-demo-tablet-in-january-asks-developers-to-get-apps-ready-2009-12
- Pixel Qi screen: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/11/3qi-screen-technology-shipping-in-time-for-apple-tablet/
- OLED screen: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091118PB201.html
- e-reader like functionality for newspapers, books, magazines: http://gizmodo.com/5370252/apple-tablet-aiming-to-redefine-newspapers-textbooks-and-magazines
- Front facing camera: http://t.sina.com.cn/kaifulee (Chinese), http://tinyurl.com/yba689d (translated)
- Multitouch version of iWork: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/technology/personaltech/09reader.html
- Runs iPhone OS: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/ten-new-details-on-the-apple-tablet/
- Interact with tablet using palms and fingers: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/01/evidence_of_apples_tablet_like_input_interface_reappears.html
Background image created by Fotoboer, graphic © 2010 tgr network.
Update: After reading comments the green room blog is aware of the issues with the post and has since revised the graphic.